Subdomain cloaking to external domains/servers

Using a single web hosting account to host multiple sites

Subdomain cloaking to external domains/servers

Postby tom » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:19 am

Hi there,

I want to cloak/mask subdomains using wildcard DNS.

So far I only found 1 way to do this which is using a proxy, however, this costs alot of bandwith to my own server aswell, right?

So, I'm looking for a way that will simply mask subdomains using .htaccess. Eg. www.sub.domain.com should mask/cloak to www.google.com

Anyone that can help me out?
Thanks in advance.
tom

Postby richardk » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:40 pm

The only way to do it is to proxy the requests.
richardk

Postby tom » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:43 pm

richardk wrote:The only way to do it is to proxy the requests.

Okay.

Is it possible to do that without using the same bandwith as the target server?
tom

Postby richardk » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:27 pm

No. the proxy is in the middle of the client and server so handles the request and the reply using the bandwidth/transfer of both.

If you don't want to use your bandwidth set up the sub domains DNS to go to the right servers IP address (ie. google.com's IP) and configure the server (google.com) to handle the request correctly. This obviously won't work if you don't have control of the server (google.com).
richardk

Postby tom » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:12 am

richardk wrote:No. the proxy is in the middle of the client and server so handles the request and the reply using the bandwidth/transfer of both.

If you don't want to use your bandwidth set up the sub domains DNS to go to the right servers IP address (ie. google.com's IP) and configure the server (google.com) to handle the request correctly. This obviously won't work if you don't have control of the server (google.com).

Okay, so the only way to "cloak" subdomains to an external domain/url without using the same amount of bandwith as the target server is by using a frame?

Unfortunately a frame has alot of downsides. :[
tom

Postby richardk » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:26 pm

Okay, so the only way to "cloak" subdomains to an external domain/url without using the same amount of bandwith as the target server is by using a frame?

As far as i know (other than proper DNS and server configuration).
richardk

Return to Domain Handling