user agent redirect

New to mod_rewrite? This is a good place to start.

Postby Z28SS » Sat Oct 20, 2001 3:18 pm

I'm building a new web site in xhtml 1.1 modular and I'm going to be utilizing positioning that will not be viewable in many browsers of the older variety for the menu structure and content scrolling. What I'm doing is building psuedo frames.
I don't know anything more about mod_rewrite outside of the fact that it will do what I need done to send the newer browsers to my site and dump the older ones in an html 3.2 page. I would like to have the site spidered by search engines, so I don't want to saw them off at the knees either.

Can you give me a hand? I know my server supports mod_rewrite and I don't think a perl script or java is going to be as blunt about covering the front door for me. BTW, I already run a referrer script that funnels anyone coming in from outside the site to my index.shtml page. Can this also be done in mod_rewrite?

Thanks for any help up front.
Z28SS

Postby Brett » Sun Oct 21, 2001 9:32 pm

I don't know anything more about mod_rewrite outside of the fact that it will do what I need done to send the newer browsers to my site and dump the older ones in an html 3.2 page. I would like to have the site spidered by search engines, so I don't want to saw them off at the knees either.
You can see an example of how to do this here. I think this example is out-of-date, but at least it gives you an idea how to accomplish what you need to do.
BTW, I already run a referrer script that funnels anyone coming in from outside the site to my index.shtml page. Can this also be done in mod_rewrite?
Yes, it can, by using %{HTTP_REFERER} ... but do you really want to do this? I think it could be a good way to get your pages dumped from search engines.
Brett

Return to Beginner's Corner