Removing part of a pretty URL with mod_rewrite

Discuss practical ways rearrange URLs using mod_rewrite.

Removing part of a pretty URL with mod_rewrite

Postby memerson » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:30 am

Hi,

I've been trying to figure this problem out for a while now but I don't seem to be getting anywhere.

Basically I have a Wordpress site which only allows certain levels of permalinks - using pretty URLs - but I want to be able to mod_rewrite it so I can literally put anything I want within in a level but it be removed by the htaccess.

For example:

Code: Select all
http://mywordpresssite.com/page/keyword/id/

The 'keyword' can be anything, something that pertains to that page. However, the 'id' must remain there in order for the page to dynamically display the correct content. So if I write:

http://mywordpresssite.com/webhosting/blog-hosting/123

This would actually be interpreted as:

http://mywordpresssite.com/webhosting/123

And the 123 would actually display the "blog hosting" page. Hypothetically.

I've currently come up with

RewriteCond %{THE_REQUEST} ^[A-Z]{3}\ /webhosting/[A-Za-z0-9]?-(.*)\/(.*)\ .*HTTP [NC]
RewriteRule .* /webhosting/$1 [R,NE,R=301,L]

But, to be honest, I'm really stuck and not quite sure what all of it means! I simply want to be able to grab an id from the URL but remove the "keyword" part of it - I only want the keyword there for SEO purposes.

Thanks in advance - any help is appreciated.

Michael
memerson

Postby richardk » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:26 pm

You want /webhosting/blog-hosting/123 in the browser's address bar the whole time?
What is the Wordpress mod_rewrite (is it the standard one)?

If it is the standard one, you will need to do it in Wordpress as it uses REQUEST_URI from the browser address bar.
richardk

Postby memerson » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:37 am

richardk wrote:You want /webhosting/blog-hosting/123 in the browser's address bar the whole time?

Yes. There is a page on my site called "hosting" which is accessible via www.mysite.com/hosting/ but what I want to be able to display is www.mysite.com/hosting/blog-hosting/123/ (as an example). Basically if Wordpress detects the word "hosting" it should just go straight to that page - but my PHP in the template will use the id I pass to display what it needs to.
What is the Wordpress mod_rewrite (is it the standard one)?

I believe so. Here is the actual htaccess file (without my failing code!):

RewriteBase /
Options +FollowSymLinks

RewriteEngine On

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

# END WordPress

If it is the standard one, you will need to do it in Wordpress as it uses REQUEST_URI from the browser address bar.

Yeah I know that - but it seems Wordpress will throw up a 404 because it can't find the page - I don't know how to write a rule that will move to the right page and still keep the browser address. And I'm not talking about re-direct, it's more like "require". I don't want a 301 really.

Thanks for your reply.
Michael
memerson

Postby richardk » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:19 pm

Your mod_rewrite needs to be
Options +FollowSymLinks

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

# END WordPress

only.

Yeah I know that - but it seems Wordpress will throw up a 404 because it can't find the page - I don't know how to write a rule that will move to the right page and still keep the browser address. And I'm not talking about re-direct, it's more like "require". I don't want a 301 really.

The Wordpress mod_rewrite sends all requests to index.php (that aren't for files or directories that exist). Mod_rewrite has no control over anything else (it just has /index.php not /index.php?some=control). Then Wordpress uses the REQUEST_URI variable from the browser's address bar which mod_rewrite can't change to find the right page content. You need to ask Wordpress support, i'm almost certain you can create custom Wordpress "RewriteRules".
richardk

Return to Friendly URLs with Mod_Rewrite