subdomain to stay in address bar

Using a single web hosting account to host multiple sites

Postby benoka » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:42 am

How did you get your main domain to work without a redirect? Did you ever enter an IP address or name server address?

It went to the main domain when I setup the redirection on domain side to forward to the main domain.

...That sounds like they put your site in a <frame>.

Do you mean you think they do that if I buy the masking?

...Where should I set the sub domain to point to an IP?

Normally in your domain control panel. (With GoDaddy, in the Total DNS control panel.)

As I mentioned earlier, Cheapdomain.com uses exactly the same control panel as GoDaddy. I do believe that Cheapdomain.com is actually GoDaddy's "cheap" version, however I never found anything about this on the internet but it very much looks that way (almost 100% same menus, controls, applications... only the colors differ, some prices and some services are less at cheapdomain of course).

So, long story short, Cheapdomain also has the same Total DNS control panel, so if you're familiar with the Godaddy version of the same, you may guide me to the point where this modification has to be done. By the way, I had to change the IP in there once I moved to Godaddy hosting, which I never had to do with any other hosting before (only the name servers needed to be changed of course).
benoka

Postby richardk » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:05 pm

Try
  • Go to the Total DNS control panel.
  • Click on "Add New CNAME Record".
  • In the "Enter an Alias Name:" text field enter the sub domain name.
  • In the "Points To Host Name:" text field enter "@" (no quotes).
  • Then click OK.
richardk

Postby benoka » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:17 am

I tried to do this and at first it came up with the error that the record already exists. indeed, by setting up the domain forward previously, there was an A record existing for the subdomain. I removed the forwarding so the A record disappeared. I then setup the CNAME record as you suggested, the error this time was 403 (forbidden).

There's one interesting thing to note: when moved my site on hosting level to GoDaddy, I had to change the IP address of the @ A record to a different one. However, if I setup a domain side forward for a subdomain, it creates an A record with the subdomain's name and the old IP address. I think the reason this however works (the site displays but with domain.com/folder... in the address bar) is not because of the subdomain setup on hosting site, but because of the forwarding setup on domain side (http://domain.com/folder...).

I begin to be sure that I cannot go around this without buying the Masking service... what do you think?
benoka

Postby richardk » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:21 pm

I tried to do this and at first it came up with the error that the record already exists. indeed, by setting up the domain forward previously, there was an A record existing for the subdomain. I removed the forwarding so the A record disappeared.

What was the IP address. Try creating an A record for the sub domain with the GoDaddy hosting's IP address.

I then setup the CNAME record as you suggested, the error this time was 403 (forbidden).

Was it from your Godaddy hosting? (You can test by creating a custom 403 handler
Code: Select all
ErrorDocument 304 /somepage

.)

There's one interesting thing to note: when moved my site on hosting level to GoDaddy, I had to change the IP address of the @ A record to a different one. However, if I setup a domain side forward for a subdomain, it creates an A record with the subdomain's name and the old IP address.

They probably expect you to be using their hosting/masking.

I think the reason this however works (the site displays but with domain.com/folder... in the address bar) is not because of the subdomain setup on hosting site, but because of the forwarding setup on domain side (http://domain.com/folder...).

The reason that example.com/folder works (but not folder.example.com) is because it is independent of the sub domain, it is just a directory like any other.
richardk

Postby benoka » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:37 am

Was it from your Godaddy hosting? (You can test by creating a custom 403 handler
Code:
ErrorDocument 304 /somepage

i setup a .htaccess file with this single entry and placed it in the root folder of the main domain:

Code: Select all
ErrorDocument 403 /403.html

(of course I uploaded a 403.html file before) but it didn't work - giving the same 403 error message it gace before:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access / on this server.
Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/1.3.33 Server at AppStuff Port 80)

i guess this means the error comes from the cheapdomain (the domain provider) or something is missing in my .htaccess file.

...Try creating an A record for the sub domain with the GoDaddy hosting's IP address.

This gives exactly the same error. I think all my doubts is disappearing now about the fact that I'll have to purchase their masking service if I want to see my subdomain displayed correctly in the address bar...
benoka

Postby richardk » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:37 am

(of course I uploaded a 403.html file before) but it didn't work - giving the same 403 error message it gace before:
i guess this means the error comes from the cheapdomain (the domain provider) or something is missing in my .htaccess file.
..Try creating an A record for the sub domain with the GoDaddy hosting's IP address.

This gives exactly the same error.

Or it could be the GoDaddy server isn't sending the sub domain request to your document root. Do you still have the sub domain set up in the hosting?

I think all my doubts is disappearing now about the fact that I'll have to purchase their masking service if I want to see my subdomain displayed correctly in the address bar...

Possibly.
richardk

Postby benoka » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:50 am

it could be the GoDaddy server isn't sending the sub domain request to your document root. Do you still have the sub domain set up in the hosting?

no, i don't have the subdomain setup on hosting side, I understood I had to remove all. I'll try it then with having that setup, last try... ;)

...and thank you millions already for the help!!!
benoka

Postby benoka » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:22 am

man, you're the best, it's WORKIIING!!!! :)

both, if I setup CNAME with the subdoman pointing to @ or setup A record with the subdomain pointing to the correct IP, NO subdomain (forwarding) setup on domain side but subdomain IS setup on hosting side, NO .htaccess needed!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your patience and kindest help!!! :)

Have a wonderful day and week and... life! ;)

I love this forum!

All the best for all,

ben
benoka

Previous

Return to Domain Handling