redirect casual users only

Using a single web hosting account to host multiple sites

redirect casual users only

Postby ArtRyan » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:12 am

I am trying to figure out how to limit redirection to casual users only. I would like for the search engines to be able to index the site as usual and redirect only the users. I am concerned that I will lose my search engine rankings by directing everyone to the new site. Does anyone have any tips/solutions for this?

Thanks in advance.
ArtRyan

Postby seomike » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:35 am

What you are talking about is cloaking a domain. If I understand what you posted. You are saying that you have a site that ranks and a new site you want to be your main site. You want to keep your old site up for the search engines to crawl but redirect all the other users to your new site.

I would recommend www.fantomaster.com their spiderspyTM product is the best on the market. It's a list of all spider IP's and is updated every 4 hours. What it does is detects the IP of the unique user that comes in. If it's a spider then it allows them to crawl if it's anything else it redirects them to what ever domain or page you want them to go to.

Mod write can do a similar thing by detecting user agent information, BUT since you can fake user agent with browsers like firefox then people could break your cloak. WARNING cloaking if caught will get your site banned from the search engines. BUT fantom's cloak has never been broken if set up properly. If you have any other questions don't be scared to ask.

Note: stay away from java redirect cloaks or useragent cloaks they can all be broken and eventually the cloaked site will get reported and banned from the search engine indexes
seomike

Just looking..

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:46 pm

for a fair way to forward the appropriate audience. I was hoping for some non commercial advice.

thanks

Postby seomike » Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:34 am

if you want to do it right and not get caught use fantomaster.

if you want to it using mod rewrite with the chance of getting caught (and banned from the SE's all together) just add this.

RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} !^.*googlebot.*$ [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} !^.*slurp.*$ [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} !^.*inktomisearch.*$ [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} !^.*scooter.*$
# for each search engine crawlser you'll need to add the .*spider-name.* Note that there are hundreds of active crawlers.
RewriteRule ^.*$ http://www.newdomain.com/ [R]

then add this meta tag to all the pages that are cloaked <meta name="robots" content="NOINDEX">

anyways if your site gets banned I warned ya :wink:
seomike

Thanks

Postby ArtRyan » Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:46 am

I appreciate the help.

I'll look into this.

Thanks again.
ArtRyan

Quick question

Postby ArtRyan » Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:07 am

As I look at this I think I must be reading this wrong.

I appears to me that what it is saying is:

If the agent is a bot i.e. google|inktomie|slurp|etc
then redirect to the new site. At least thats what it looks like.

Am I mis-reading this?

Thanks.
ArtRyan

figured it out

Postby ArtRyan » Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:02 am

Thanks mike - works great. I realized the exclamation means "not"

take care
ArtRyan

Return to Domain Handling