(www).anydomain.(*) to (www).anydomain.masterdomain.net

Using a single web hosting account to host multiple sites

(www).anydomain.(*) to (www).anydomain.masterdomain.net

Postby stk » Mon May 28, 2007 3:45 pm

Hello,
I've searched about but not found a solution to my particular problem, and would greatly appreciate any help.

(generic domain names substituted for clarity)

I have a bunch of domains that all point to masterdomain.net and would like to use mod_rewrite to silently redirect each to their own subdomain, including any and all querystrings, directory and file names.

For example:
(www).anydomain.(*) needs to point to (www).anydomain.masterdomain.net(/*).
If it helps, currently all of my domains point to the /www/www/ root of my webserver, and my hosting provider sets up subdomains as /www/subdomain/.

I got a previous example from this forum working to point each domain to it's own subdirectory of the webroot (ie /www/www/anydomain/*), but would like to take advantage of separate quotas, webstats, cgi-bin etc available for subdomains on my webhost.

Thanks for any assistance,
Skye.
stk

Postby richardk » Tue May 29, 2007 11:15 am

Mod_rewrite can't rewrite to a location above the document root (eg. from /www/www to /www/subdomain). You will need to ask your host if they can set it up.
richardk

Postby stk » Tue May 29, 2007 3:21 pm

richardk wrote:Mod_rewrite can't rewrite to a location above the document root (eg. from /www/www to /www/subdomain). You will need to ask your host if they can set it up.

I see, thanks for the info.

cheers, sk
stk

Return to Domain Handling