RewriteCond %{HTTP:FORWARDED}           !^$ [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP:USERAGENT_VIA}       !^$ [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP:X_FORWARDED_FOR}     !^$ [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP:PROXY_CONNECTION}    !^$ [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP:XPROXY_CONNECTION}   !^$ [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP:HTTP_PC_REMOTE_ADDR} !^$ [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP:HTTP_CLIENT_IP}      !^$
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ - [F]

I run a forum and sometimes some users get out of hand and think that its fun to hide behind a proxy make new accounts and spam.

Since I implemented this on my site I have had a few users comment on friends that use cell phones getting 403 errors.
I don't know much about how cell phone web works but could this be blocking them, and if so is there a rule I could add?
Nervosa

Postby richardk » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:05 am

I run a forum and sometimes some users get out of hand and think that its fun to hide behind a proxy make new accounts and spam.

This won't block anonymous proxies, though. Is your spam from humans or spambots/botnets?

Since I implemented this on my site I have had a few users comment on friends that use cell phones getting 403 errors.
I don't know much about how cell phone web works but could this be blocking them

It could be. The requests might be going through a proxy server (set up by the provider). Do they get a 403 error for all their requests?

is there a rule I could add?

You could allow some "legitimate" proxies by IP address
Code: Select all
RewriteCond %{REMOTE_ADDR} !^1\.2\.3\.4$

or the user agent
Code: Select all
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} !^good_user_agent$ [NC]
richardk

Postby Nervosa » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:41 pm

This won't block anonymous proxies, though. Is your spam from humans or spambots/botnets?

People

It could be. The requests might be going through a proxy server (set up by the provider). Do they get a 403 error for all their requests?

One person said they were able to send PMs, that makes me think its something else. (Only heard of two cases so far)
Nervosa

Postby richardk » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:57 pm

If the mod_rewrite blocked one request it would almost certainly block all the requests. You could look in your error log for the 403 errors to see if you can get more information.
richardk

Postby Nervosa » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:18 pm

Talked to another person that uses verizon and got a 403 when useing cell phone.
Would adding something like allow verizon.com help?
Nervosa

Postby richardk » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:06 am

You would need to find out if there is something unique about there requests. Do they come from the same IP address? Do they have a customised user agent?
richardk

Return to Security with Mod_Rewrite