Mod rewrite Help

New to mod_rewrite? This is a good place to start.

Mod rewrite Help

Postby dannyboy123 » Wed May 20, 2009 3:26 pm

Hello

I'm new to mod rewrite and I'm trying to achieve the following:

www.domain.com/index.php?page=home&&sta ... &type=user

to

www.domain.com/home/test/user

At present the "page" variable calls a file which could be located in any subfolder within domain.com and other variables after this determine actions within the files called in. Can anyone suggest a method to make the URL display correctly whilst still calling in the correct files? There could possibly be other variables after the "page" variable and therefore if the rule was a wildchild so could possibly achieve: /home/test/user/var1/var2/var3/etc.

Ideally I'd like to apply one rewrite rule to the .htaccess file in the httpdocs directory so that all files within here are affected.

Am I trying to achieve something that is impossible? Any help would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks
dannyboy123

Postby richardk » Thu May 21, 2009 6:57 am

There could possibly be other variables after the "page" variable and therefore if the rule was a wildchild so could possibly achieve: /home/test/user/var1/var2/var3/etc.

What is the current working URL for /home/test/user/var1/var2/var3/etc.?

Try
Code: Select all
Options +FollowSymLinks

RewriteEngine On

RewriteRule ^([^/]+)/([^/]+)/([^/]+)/?$ /index.php?page=$1&&status=$2&&type=$3 [QSA,L]
richardk

Postby dannyboy123 » Fri May 22, 2009 2:47 am

Thanks for your help so far.

The URL can change, depending on the directory in use, so for /home/test/user/var1/var2/var3/etc this could be any directory within domain.com.

What we are looking to achieve is not a redirection, but a masking of the URL, by changing the variables, for example if the URL is:

domian.com/index.php?page=home&&search=test

we want to use mod rewrite not to point to another folder, but simply to make the URL appear in the browser as:

domain.com/home/test

So what will be loaded is the index.php file, but rather than the URL saying index.php?page=home, it will simply display as /home and so on.

Also, we do not know the GET variables apart from the "page" variables, so the next variable could be anything, so can a wildchild be used to apply this for all variables?

As I have little knowledge of mod rewrite, please excuse my ignorance if I'm trying to achieve the impossible.
dannyboy123

Postby richardk » Fri May 22, 2009 8:32 am

What we are looking to achieve is not a redirection, but a masking of the URL, by changing the variables, for example if the URL is:

domian.com/index.php?page=home&&search=test

we want to use mod rewrite not to point to another folder, but simply to make the URL appear in the browser as:

domain.com/home/test

So if the URL you want is /home/test/user/var1/var2/var3/etc, what is the original URL? /index.php?page=home&&...

Also, we do not know the GET variables apart from the "page" variables, so the next variable could be anything, so can a wildchild be used to apply this for all variables?

Do you mean /about/richardk to /index.php?page=about&&person=richardk and/or /home/something to /index.php?page=home&&different=something?

It is unlikely there could be a rule that worked out the variable name based only on the variable value. You would either need seperate rules (if all /about means the person variable and all /home means the search variable), to name the variables to the same names, to put the names in the URL or to use PHP to work it out.
richardk

Postby dannyboy123 » Fri May 22, 2009 8:46 am

Again thanks for your help.

To answer your questions:

1. domian.com/index.php?page=home&&search=test would be the original URL, but we would like to use mod rewrite to mask this and make it appear as follows:

domain.com/home/test - so that in my address window this is what a visitor to the website can see, but actually the original URL is being called.

Do you mean /about/richardk to /index.php?page=about&&person=richardk and/or /home/something to /index.php?page=home&&different=something?

Yes, but the other way round, so that if we link to /index.php?page=about&&person=richardk the URL displayed will be /about/richardk

It is unlikely there could be a rule that worked out the variable name based only on the variable value

The variable name and value will be called in the link, but I would like to use mod rewrite to mask this as per above.

Thanks
dannyboy123

Postby richardk » Sat May 23, 2009 4:12 pm

1. domian.com/index.php?page=home&&search=test would be the original URL, but we would like to use mod rewrite to mask this and make it appear as follows:

domain.com/home/test - so that in my address window this is what a visitor to the website can see, but actually the original URL is being called.

I wanted an DIFFERENT example, the rest of the second example from your first post. The "working URL" for /home/test/user/var1/var2/var3/etc.

Yes, but the other way round, so that if we link to /index.php?page=about&&person=richardk the URL displayed will be /about/richardk

I know what way round you want it. But if you think about the mod_rewrite, the input is /about/richardk and the "output" (inside Apache) is /index.php?page=about&&person=richardk.

The variable name and value will be called in the link, but I would like to use mod rewrite to mask this as per above.

The new links is important. That is what mod_rewrite gets as input.

What i meant was, will the variable names change for each page=, eg.

when page=123 the second variable will always be abc
/index.php?page=123&abc=4
/index.php?page=123&abc=5

and when page=456 the second variable will always be def
/index.php?page=456&def=6
/index.php?page=456&def=7

so there is a nice, matchable pattern or will each page have many different other variable names, eg

/index.php?page=123&abc=8
/index.php?page=123&def=9
/index.php?page=456&abc=10
/index.php?page=456&ghi=11

where it would be impossible to know what the variable name is just from /page_variable/unknown_second_variable/.
richardk

Return to Beginner's Corner