SOLVED: N00B's htaccess prob - help, please

New to mod_rewrite? This is a good place to start.

SOLVED: N00B's htaccess prob - help, please

Postby kakalaka » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:05 pm

I want to have all .html files placed in one directory redirected to a single html page.

Here's a file structure:

www.abc.com/123/456/ <= dir where html files will be
www.abc.com/123/456.html <= all html files placed in www.abc.com/123/456/ are to be redirected to this one

There's a .htaccess file I HAVE to use because it's a switch - here's what's written in it:

Code: Select all
RewriteEngine on
Options +FollowSymlinks
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^$ /XYZ.cgi?%{REQUEST_URI} [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !/.*/
RewriteRule ^.*\.html$ /XYZ.cgi?%{REQUEST_URI} [L]

XYZ.cgi file is what does the redirects under certain criteria (unimportant here), so it has to be there.

Same 2-file switch already works on the same site, but in its root - all html files placed in root of www.abc.com are redirected to www.abc.com/DIR/.

I have forced it (kinda) to work like this:
above .htaccess file is placed in 123/456/ directory and XYZ.cgi file is placed in the root, but the result is not what I'd like to have. All it does is redirect 123/456/ dir to 123/456.html file, but when exact path to html files in 456 dir is entered, it does not redirect. :(

I've been banging my head over this for quite some time now, blind tested many different settings with no luck - any help is more than appreciated.

TIA :)

EDIT: I have solved the problem. Well, not solved but avoided by adding a http://456/abc.com subdomain and now it all works as I am used to.

While fiddling with this, I have cruised the topics on this forum (that's where I got the idea after all) - this is a mighty great place.
I'll do my best to contribute in the future.
kakalaka

Return to Beginner's Corner