mod_rewrite for routing and filtering?

Discuss practical ways rearrange URLs using mod_rewrite.

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 21, 2002 5:40 am

I have been toyig aroung with apache's 2.0 mod_rewrite, but I haven't been able to do the following and I am conceptually confused. I need to:

1._ Field all requests for http://www.mycompany.com and mycompany.com and handle it with the same apache server. (this part is not a problem, but i mentioned it because it is part of the general context)

2._ Everything that looks like dev.*.mycompany.com I would redirect to another apache server, handling totally different web contexts (log, configuration files, etc. )

dev.banana.mycompany.com would go to the "banana" web context of the second server

dev.banana.20020714.mycompany.com would still go to the "banana" web context of the second server

dev.strawberries.mycompany.com would still go to the "strawberries" web context of the second server

If someonr tries to access dev.mangoes.mycompany.com and there is no "mangoes" web context, they should be simply redirected to mycompany.com

So, how many running apache servers do I need. One as a router, one main web server and one "dev" web server? Or just two one as a router and main web server and the other one as "dev"?

What security problems do you see there? (Have no idea about possible security issues by going this way)

Thanks

Return to Friendly URLs with Mod_Rewrite