My Query String is split off from the URL

Discuss practical ways rearrange URLs using mod_rewrite.

My Query String is split off from the URL

Postby robbie » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:43 am

Hello Everyone,
I am trying to do what should be a simple rewrite.

I want
'www.somedomain.com/anyword'

to be rewritten as
'www.somedomain.com/GeneratePage?menu=anyword'

Here is my rewrite configuration:-
Code: Select all
RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ GeneratePage.php?menu=$1  [NC,L]

The rewrite works up to a point, but the '?menu=$1' part gets stripped off, so Generate.php (without any query string) is served.

Here is an extract from the rewrite.log. I have taken out the host information and added line numbers

1..(2) init rewrite engine with requested uri /WorkBench
2..(3) applying pattern '^/(.*)$' to uri '/WorkBench'
3..(2) rewrite '/WorkBench' -> '/GeneratePage.php?menu=WorkBench'
4..(3) split uri=/GeneratePage.php?menu=WorkBench -> uri=/GeneratePage.php, args=menu=WorkBench
5..(2) local path result: /GeneratePage.php
6..(2) prefixed with document_root to DocumentRoot/GeneratePage.php
7..(1) go-ahead with DocumentRoot/GeneratePage.php [OK]

All seems to be well until line 4 when the string "?menu=WorkBench" is split off.

I have tried this with different flags and different patterns but it won't work. What have I done wrong?

Thanks, Robbie
robbie

Postby richardk » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:51 am

It's not being lost, it is being put in the QUERY_STRING variable. Then the uri= part i used to find the file on the server (add the document root prefix), if it still had the query string attached it would not find the file.

Try
Options +FollowSymLinks

RewriteEngine On

RewriteCond %{SCRIPT_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{SCRIPT_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ GeneratePage.php?menu=$1  [QSA,L]
richardk

Postby robbie » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:59 pm

Thanks, I understand now - I think. So it's just a problem with my rule. It seems to be working now, but at the time I wrote the original post, I was being served GeneratePage.php without any arguments, so of course I got a nonsense page.

Thank you for taking the time to help me. I'm a newcomer to all of this and it can be difficult to get one's head around all the ins and outs. I struggled with this for ages, so thanks once again.

Cheers,
Robbie
robbie

Postby richardk » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:50 am

at the time I wrote the original post, I was being served GeneratePage.php without any arguments, so of course I got a nonsense page.

Are you sure it was empty? name might have been set to GeneratePage.php. When the rule matches the first time, a new request for /GeneratePage.php?name=anyword is made by Apache. The URL also matches your original rule, so would rewrite to /GeneratePage.php?name=GeneratePage.php. This would continue until the maximum number of rewrites was met. The current rule does not do this because

means, if the request is for an existing file (eg. GeneratePage.php), stop. The second condition stops the rule matching existing directories.
richardk

Postby robbie » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:52 pm

Yes, I see now. At first I was getting these iterations you mentioned. In the end, the number of iterations exceeded the max allowed and I was served GeneratePage.php without the query string. I changed the rule to only look for 'anyword' - not ending in a period or slash and with nothing after that, and then the iterations stopped. The code I ended up with after your seggestion is
RewriteCond %{SCRIPT_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule /([^/\.]+)/?$ /GeneratePage.php?string=$1 [NC,L,QSA]

This seems to work exacxtly as requried. eg a request for
'www.somedomain.com/anyword' or 'www.somedomain.com/anyword/anyword' would be rewritten as 'www.somedomain.com/GeneratePage.php?menu=anyword' but a request for 'www.somedomain.com/anyword/anyword.php' is not rewritten.

Thanks again for your help. I think I am getting my head around this now.
robbie

Return to Friendly URLs with Mod_Rewrite