Dedicated IP pointing to Root Issue

CLOSED

Dedicated IP pointing to Root Issue

Postby gfpc » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:49 pm

I hope its appropriate I post here. This forum helped me a while back with another mod rewrite. Thank you!! :-)

I am on shared hosting but purchased a dedicated IP address. I dedicated IP address points to my root folder. In the root folder I have all my sites as folders on their own.
So what this means when i type in the dedicated IP I get a 403 forbidden error. Now I know i could move site to the root but that is an issue because I have 9 sites.
I want all 9 sites to be able to be accessed with the IP address from within the browser. My host only allows 1 dedicated server pointed to the root only.

As a work around I purchased SSL cerificated which include the dedicated IP address but all point to the root and the host will not manually point them to the site folders. This they said is not
part of their service. so i am stuck.

I could implement a 301 redirect which i have tried and it works - here it is below.

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(IP ADDRESS NUMERIC)$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.mysitedomain.xxx/$1 [L,R=301]

But that only redirects the ip address and changes the url to the domain name.

What i actually want is to be able to access the website with the ip address number value and the url will remain intact. As i was told the site would be able to be accessed at all times even when the
servers are sometimes down that map domain names. If those are down I would want to access the site via the IP address. With a redirect i would not be able to do this.

So I want the urls to look like this for example (this is not the real IP).

44.34.343.343 --- I want that to direct to my site and show homepage.
44.34.343.343/any-url-on- my-site.php ---- all my urls i want to be accessed via the ip address and files of the site.

And i want to do this with 9 websites. Is there a mod rewrite i can add to the .htaccess file that will allow this to happen?

Cheers
gfpc

Return to New Threads/Problems