Can Someone Please Help Me?

Using mod_rewrite to handle various content issues

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 04, 2001 9:23 am

O.K. I have no idea how to write this kind of stuff, actually I just started using .htaccess a few months ago. The problem I am having is that people can link directly to large video files that are in a password protected area using their username and password in the url, i.e.: http://user:password@www.mysites.com/pr ... video1.mpg
I am really hoping that I can stop this somehow but I am sooo clueless to this stuff that someone will need to hold my hand if it's even possible at all. Thanks for reading this, I hope someone can help me out :smile:
Best regards,
Christian

Postby Brett » Sun Oct 14, 2001 8:29 am

You can probably do something similar to what is described in this post, disqualifying any requests where the referer is not your own site.
Brett

Postby Zareh » Mon May 06, 2002 2:58 pm

Hello,

Just an FYI... the problem with video files is that IE and Netscape handle them differently.

Netscape downloads the file and then passes it to a player, this is fine... because Netscape actaully sends the HTTP_REFERER.

Now the problem is with IE, IE instead of downloading the file and passing it on to a player, does the opposite... it launches a player, ie: Media Player, and then Media Player trys to connect to the site and download the file, but Media Player, or IE, fail to send an HTTP_REFERER, so your mod_rewrite rules will block valid requets...
Zareh

Return to Content